the 8th of August, 1955, when Goalpara College came into
existence as a night college under the Principalship of Late
Wazuddin Ahmed, M Sc, B.L. with 6 lecturers and 22 students.
Before the date mentioned, the undivided Goalpara district
had only one degree college at Dhubri, the then district
headquarters situated on the north bank of the Brahmaputra.
Owing to poverty, poor communication system and other
socio-economic problems the aspirant youths of the very
remote places of the south bank of the Brahmaputra were not
able to get themselves admitted to the said college.
Moreover it was simply impossible to cater to the needs of a
large number of the aspiring youths of a district so large
in size extending from Guwahati to the eastern border of the
then East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). With the unstinting
support and guidance of Late Khagendra Nath, the then M.L.A.
of Goalpara and social activist, a group of sympathetic and
enthusiastic people dedicated themselves to the cause of
establishing a college on the south bank of the Brahmaputra
and because of their relentless endeavour, ultimately, this
undergraduate college was established in Goalpara town. With
the cooperation and financial help of the generous people of
the locality, soon there was a permanent structure of the
college building to make it a full fledged institution of
higher education of the district of Goalpara on the south
bank of the
Brahmaputra in 1959. It was brought under the
deficit grant-in-aid system in 1962. When the college began
to receive the deficit grants-in-aid from the government and
got a little over the financial constraints, the same group
of enthusiastic people undertook another bold venture of
opening science faculty. As a result the science faculty was
introduced in 1966 and was brought under the deficit
grant-in-aid system in 1974. Since then, both the faculties
have been flourishing and attracting large number of
students from various parts of the state and even from the
neighbouring states and during the last academic session
i.e. 2007-08 the college enrolled about 2000 students into
its different courses. The College has been brought under
the provisions of the Assam College Employees (Provincialisation)
Act, 2005 since December, 2005.
Besides the existing computerised library with more than
27,000 volumes of books, a good number of journals and
magazines along with reprographic facilities both for
students and faculty members, a UNESCO Library was
inaugurated in the college on January 19, 2008 in the
presence of Dr A K Sarma, Secretary General, UNESCO Guwahati
and State Secretary, North Eastern Region.
Under the FIST (Faculty Improvement of Science and
Technology) Scheme of the DST (Dept. of Science and
Technology), New Delhi, Government of India, the
infrastructure of science faculty and the computer lab as
well as the library will be very soon modernised.
From this session
the college as a Partner Institute of IGNOU under the
Convergence Scheme and as a study centre of K K Handique
State Open University will start imparting vocational
education in the form of different courses through distance
and open learning mode.